Search This Blog

Thursday, August 20, 2009

What's Old is New



As many of you know, what's old is new again. This is certainly true when it comes to the traditional arts, such as quilting, sewing, knitting, and embroidery. What's new about this though, is that the trend is mixed media, which means a combination of things together. I have been drawn to this in particular with quilting, specifically the art quilt, which is not what your grandmother did. I prefer to take felted pieces and machine quilt them, then add highlights with thread. After that I might embellish with beads or yarn. Anything goes. I also draw on fabric with oil sticks and embellish these drawings in much the same way. Lately I have made several kerchiefs and have gotten a lot of positive comments. Far from being frumpy or "granola", these kerchiefs are fun and funky ( and not bad for hiding a bad hair day!). In the pictures I have included I have used organic cotton fabric ( pre-washed), painted on the daisies with oil stiks, then thread painted small leaves using variegated thread and free motion stitching. I hope to post a few on my etsy store to see what happens. Later tonight I plan to draw on 3 kerchiefs that I sewed this afternoon. They will have to cure for several days before I can do the stitching. If I am feeling really energetic (not likely) then I hope to do some felting and some art history work. In reality I will likely crash in front of the TV around 9 and spend the rest of the evening tuned out. I'll let you know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment