Search This Blog

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Heatin things up

It's pretty hard to be creative when you are roasting in the heat. I don't know about anyone else, but the heat tends to suck the life right out of me. I admit I haven't worked on my felting in about 4 days, due in part to the temperature, and in other part to the fact I am in or by the pool trying to cool off. I have however been working on some art history, studying Baroque, NeoClassiscism, and Romanticism. When you look at these periods in history its amazing how much of it influences art and architecture today. Take for instance the American President Thomas Jefferson in the early 1800's. He had his house remodeled in the classical style, complete with pillars and a dome. Roman and Greek art were emulated all over the world. As I said in an earlier blog, you need to look back to see how you got to where you are.I can think of the Dominion Public Building downtown in the small town where I live which has a distinct Greek Architectural front. Looking at the past can also give artists great ideas for their own work. I recently saw an art quilt modeled after variations of the Venus of Willendorf, which was a small statue made by ancient man, possibly a fertility symbol. Inspiration is everywhere. As an artist it is vital to expose yourself to a wide variety of experiences, which is like the fertilizer that helps a plant to grow. In the widely popular book "The Artist's Way" the author suggests that people go on a weekly artist date by themselves to expose themselves to new things and to the art of others. Not a bad idea.

1 comment: