Search This Blog

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Art History

Well, after dropping the car off for its inspection and my five year old at the babysitters I find myself with a whole 5 hours of peace and quiet. What to do, what to do. I have to admit having a nap looks tempting and going in the pool even more so on this hot day, but there's work to be done. I am now three months behind on my latest art history course assignment. I have no excuses except to say I sometimes procrastinate. Now things are coming down to the wire. I have to write the rough drafts of two small essays today, and the focus of this unit is the Renaissance period in Italy, 1400-1600. Luckily I am somewhat familiar with this era as I teach it as part of grade 10 visual arts. I actually enjoy art history as it gives my own work more context and meaning, and gives a better frame of reference when looking at other works. The trend in teaching art history is to focus on the most recent 100 years, however I still believe going back to the beginnings of art history has a lot of value. How do we know where we're going if we don't know where we've been?

If I have time I also plan to grab that art quilting project of the clematis that I have been working on. I've already painted it on fabric in oil using Shiva Paint Stiks and let it dry for several days . Maybe I'll be able to post the before and after on the blog tonight. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment