Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Eco Felt Find

I'm back from my R&R, and I have to say that horseback riding on a trail through the woods is a very peaceful experience. Getting off the horse several hours later is a very sore experience. Loved it anyway. While I was reading one of my many textile magazines today I came across a great product, eco felt!!! Now normally I am all for organic , back to the earth, real deal, fresh off the sheep wool. However, I am also for recycling and re-using. Eco felt, which comes in many colors, is made from recycled plastic bottles. Go figure! It is also machine washable and won't shrink like the real deal. Now, for die hard felters like myself it might not be a great product to try to felt with. However, for those who use felt for craft purposes or as garnishes on hand sewn items, I think it's a good alternative. To find a supplier just google eco felt. I may try some as a background for some of the felted "paintings" that I create.

I know I had hoped to post a before and after of the clematis picture that I have painted and stiched, but it just isn't finished yet. Unfortunately I ran out of the color green thread I needed for the leaves. Crossing my fingers I can post the pictures tomorrow.

Back to my R&R. I was able to slip away to a great wool shop called Mini Mills. They have every color of wool imaginable and also have their own line of yarn. Needles to say I loaded the van with several colors, felting needles, pre-made felt (unbleached) and a new knitting book. Like a need another knitting book. This one however was full of the most beautiful , and unbelieveably difficult, patterns I have seen in a long time. Maybe this winter, after I finish knitting several xmas gifts, I may tackle the knitted coat. Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment