Search This Blog

Thursday, October 29, 2009

When stress is a good thing

No one likes to be depressed, upset, or generally stressed out. However, as an artist there is sometimes an upside to this. I get some of my best ideas for artwork when I am in my "dark place". Perhaps it's because the emotional part of my brain is active, which also happens to be where the artist in me lives. However, my art that is created in this mindset is usually not bright and sunny. It generally reflects my mood. Feelings of depression have plagued me over the past few months as my oldest son graduated high school and has started the next chapter of his life. I really miss him. I think these feelings have influenced my latest round of work, which is painting portraits of women who have experienced their own issues as a result of depression. One of my portraits is actually of myself. I am also painting the daughter of a friend who has been struggling with depression. So, while I certainly don't like being stressed out or sad, I can see that there is a silver lining in every cloud for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment