Search This Blog

Friday, November 13, 2009

Another Lightbulb Moment

If any of you are familiar with the book "The Artist's Way" or the sequel " The Vein of Gold", you'll know that it is a great resource for artists. I did the Artist's way almost 9 years ago after several failed attempts. I say failed attempts because the book requires that you do a lot of exercises and soul searching. I tried a few times but found it all too much . Finally I got through it. After that I left a terrible relationship, had my first solo exhibit, and started painting regularly and taking jewellery design courses. It was like the damn had been opened once I cleared away all the clutter. Well, I have started for the 4th time "The Vein of Gold". Some of the exercises are emotionally painful to do, but go a long way towards understanding yourself and clearing away that clutter. Recently I found myself bogged down in regrets, people from the past, toxic work relationships, and other equally instrusive negative thoughts and emotions. A couple of weeks ago I was sitting at this very computer and my mind was racing with thoughts. Suddenly I sat there and said to myself, all of these thoughts are taking up space and energy in my brain. I don't have the time or the energy for this, it is all so draining. I need to just get rid of this stuff . I literally visualized myself sweeping people, emotions and thoughts away into a corner. I suddenly felt as if I was lighter. I am serious when I say that within several minutes I had several creative ideas pop into my head. I was giddy. This really worked! I think I was ready however, ready to move on and get back to what mattered, my family and my art. I wasn't ready before. And there's the thing. You have to be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment