Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Nova Scotia Fibre Arts Festival

It's that time of year again folks. For the second year Amherst is hosting the NS Fibre Arts Festival, which promises to grow each year as more people become aware of what is being offered. Last year I was lucky to be asked to have a solo exhibit, and this year was even luckier to be asked again. My small show is at the Amherst Town Hall on Ratchford Street. I included several felted pieces, as well as several art quilts. This year I have done some stitching on my felted pieces. I think the stitching is an evolution of what I have been doing. As well as the exhibit I have been included in a fibre arts sale which takes place on Friday from 11-7 at the Tantramar Theatre. I am looking at it as an experiment of sorts. I have decided to include some pieces I displayed last year, some sterling silver wire rings that I knitted, as well as 5 different felting kits of which 4 are brand new designs. Whenever I take part in any of these endeavors the nay sayer that lives in the heads of many of us tells me that my work isn't good enough, that somehow I will look silly. As an artist I struggle with those types of feelings all the time. I think it's because my art is part of me, so by putting it on display I am putting myself on display. Criticism, while it can be productive, can also really sting. I'm sure that anyone who creates has felt that sting from time to time. The only cure is to suck it up and keep on going. Hope to see some of you this week as part of the festival!

No comments:

Post a Comment