Search This Blog

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Having a Thick Skin

One thing you must have when painting portraits is a thick skin. I think mine is only half way there. Everyone will have an opinion about a portrait, especially the people you painted and their family members. The bottom line is that everyone wants a painting to be a photograph. My answer is, if you want a photograph, then take a picture! Still, it's hard to ignore the hushed whispers of "there's something not right about the eyes", or "well, the hair looks good." . It's not that people are purposely trying to burst your bubble. They just can't help themselves. I forgot about how upsetting it can be when you paint portraits, because you are subjected to criticism like no other kind of painting (except maybe abstract, but that's for another blog). It is hard to ignore. You have to be tough and be able to take it. I experienced it today, and felt like throwing the painting in the fire or scraping the oil right off the canvas and starting again. I need to get over this if I am going to continue my series of painting women and children. I'll let you know how that goes. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment