Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Latest Creations

As I mentionned yesterday I have done a few things creative, such as use up the last of a block of porcelain clay (I use Tucker's MCS Cone 6) and threw 2 bowls and a small vase. They came out of the kiln this afternoon and I was glad to see the glazes turned out OK, especially the ultra clear (cone 6) on the white bowl. I've had a few issues lately with areas turning white. The other bowl was Pam's Blue (coyote glaze) and the vase was a combination of Blue Rutile and True Celadon around the upper lip ( I think Laguna).  Although I have tons of chemicals to make my own glazes I am using the commercial glazes now because I simply don't have the time to weigh and measure and then cross my fingers for my own concoctions. My favourite glaze is called lavender filagree from Laguna ( crystalline cone 6) and when fired correctly produces amazing small gold crystals. The only drawback is that it's not food safe, so it is purely decorative. One final note. For the sides of the Pam's Blue bowl I used shaped cardboard that something had come packed in and pressed it into the sides. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment