Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The best way to learn is to teach

Sometimes being a teacher teaches me. Right now I am teaching all of my students various forms of linear perspective, which can get pretty tricky indeed. My grade 11/12 class is learning how to draw in 3 point perspective, and sometimes I get confused as well. Today I realized that I had given out some misinformation when one student asked me to explain a certain angle that she had draw following my instructions. It didn't take long to realize I had lead the whole class astray. I managed to figure out my mistake by working through the problem in front of the class. Now I will be sure to remember it next time, and I think I have cemented my learning in that area from the experience. I am a firm believer that in order to really learn something you need to roll up your sleeves and work through a problem via trial and error. Experience is the best teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment